The Burn Residency is now over. It has been 2 intense weeks with 18 talented contestants (and great people) from 18 different countries and a great crew that have made this not only a great DJing competition but an unforgettable experience for everyone. All the winners have all been chosen by the promoters after making it to the Final 6 round. Other great artists lost their opportunity along the way, but the workings of the contest only allow for 3 of them to stay on the island. These 3 finalists are finally chosen by the promoters according to who they think is more suited to their clubs.
Despite the final results, the experience of sharing these two weeks with their colleagues, being mentored by the Burn mentors Solomun, Maceo Plex, Fatboy Slim, Avicii and Hot Chip, enjoying the opening parties, becoming inspired by and connected with the top people in the industry at IMS and just getting to know this island at its best has been a mind-blowing experience for all. I hope they’ll take with them many positive learnings and lots of inspiration to continue developing their careers and pursuing their dreams.
As we’ve been telling them during these two weeks, Ibiza is probably the biggest showroom for any brand in the electronic music industry; and brands include artists. Burn Residency has opened all the doors to them but now it’s their turn to make the best of it and rock the dancefloors of this island. Congratulations to the three winners: you kept calm under the pressure and you proved your talent at the right moments. Winning this contest can be a great step forward, but that will depend on your good work over the summer and how you use the opportunities that your residency will give you. Staying focused on this island is not an easy task, but if you find the right balance you will definitely jump to the next level. Congratulations also to all other contestants and finalists! Not winning may feel sad when you were so close but don’t forget that you made it to the island and lived a unique experience. You won in your own country out of thousands of entries and you are now in a much better position to develop your career. You are very lucky and you now have many ways to use all this to push your music forward. Your network is much bigger now and as Solomun told us during his masterclass: sticking together and helping each other is the best way to grow together. You now have 17 friends spread around the globe and a great connection with the mentors. Hopefully you went home inspired and with your notebook full of the things you’ve learnt. From our side, we are already thinking of ways to keep supporting your career, as we truly believe in your talent and spirit.
For me personally, as Head Mentor, I just have to say THANK YOU. It has been great sharing these two weeks with such a nice bunch of people, sharing the passion for music and trying to make this experience the best possible. Your feelings and emotions have touched me very much and I consider you all my friends. I’m here for anything you may need in the future (please don’t bother me with guest lists!!!) :-)
I would also like to thank the Coke and Popshop teams for their trust. I’m looking forward to take it to the next level. Thanks to NOA for taking care of us during these two weeks. Without you, it wouldn’t have been as great as it has been. And last but not least, thanks to Vice for being so patient with me during filming. You made it much easier and fun! I can’t wait to see the outcome of all this crazy work. The Burn Residency is over but it has left us some great moments.
These were my personal highlights:
1. Fatboy Slim’s Top 10 rules to be a great DJ, including: a) get a slap on your face before going on stage, b) be 20% more drunk than the crowd, c) wear Hawaiian shirts and d) play bare foot. Norman brought also signs for all the contestants , saying in one side ” tune in” and on the other side ” its not like in the old days” so the contestants could tell him if he was getting boring.
2. The final Announcements. Despite the sadness of not winning, seeing the faces of those who won is something I’ll never forget.
3. Wrap-up dinner + party! Hanging out with all the crew and listening to the nice and funny speeches.
4. Kika and Welly working hard from the early morning! That’s the way!
5. Maceo Plex’s private production lessons on the Es Vive rooftop, including some mojitos and lots of good vibes.
6. All the Es Vive staff: you made us feel at home. 7. Peta, Lilly, Bjorn, Miguel, and the rest of the team doing some awesome film work, keeping it professional and with a smile at all times!Oh and our amazing sound guy!
8. The welcome event, the great energy started right from the beginning! Yamato break dance was dope!
9. Seeing the bright in the faces of the contestants in each of the workshops.
10. The amazing IMS Dalt Vila opening party.
Watch the whole story unfold July 25th on http://www.youtube.com/burn